Thursday, July 10, 2008

Is It A Whiskey Night, Or Just A Couple Beers?

There definitely are a lot more cons than pros to my recent relocation to Florida, but one of the pros has to be the fact that I'm able to post this message while fishing off my dock. If there is a lengthy pause, it's because I'm reeling in dinner. (Oh and if anyone know what type of bait/lure/action I should be using to catch fish, please let me know. My main effort includes putting a piece of hot dog on the line and letting it sink to the bottom, and wait for a catfish to eat it. Not that successful really.)
Yes the plan is definitely to catch and eat a fish within the next couple days. I've done it once, but never off my dock. A scout trip down to the keys where we went scuba fishing during the day and pretty much chilled at the campsite during the nights led to us buying a Mickey Mouse, and I mean that literally, not just figuratively, rod and reel combo and some squid bait from the bait and tackle store next door. We landed about eight fish in the space of two hours. They weren't big at all, but when you took three or four of them, it was enough to be a meal. Plus, you felt amazing knowing that you could make food happen if you ever went broke. I want to go back to those times every now and then, and this may be the last chance I get for a while.
Of course, it was sunny thirty minutes ago, so now it has to start to rain. Makes sense. Hold on, moving to the boat so I can continue fishing/blogging.
If any of you were wondering if I did land a fish tonight, the answer is yes. I pulled up a catfish, as expected, and thought about cooking it, but after asking about three people who knew more about fishing than I did, decided to kick it back into the water. And this is when the thing stabbed me with one of its whiskers. Didn't see that coming. Now I'm wondering if I need antibiotics or vaccines of some sort. Not going to go the doctor about it though, so I guess we'll just hope my foot doesn't die.
This is kind of a weak post, simply because nothing has really happened since I decided to move back to Florida. I could talk about all the fun I had in Phoenix, but that would just leave me moderately depressed about the whole leaving episode. However, I do think this is where I supposed to be right now. I think it's my best chance to get into medical school, even if I have to forgo social relations, friends, and professional baseball. By the way, expect the DBacks to tear it up now that I'm gone. They sucked while I was there, and almost lost the division lead after being up by like 15 games just before I showed up. Not to say I'm the sole cause, but I had to play some role in it. Word.

No comments: