Tuesday, May 12, 2009

It's Amazing, I'm the Reason, Everybody's Fired Up This Evening

So I have a more pressing point that I will spend the bulk of this post addressing, but first I feel obligated to posit the following theory:


Tiger is on the decline and will not eclipse Jack Nicklaus's record of 18 career majors.


Now, some might say this is premature. And it likely is, but I'm a man who is apt to go out limbs, prone to leap without looking, (For the sake of all things good and holy, go watch Star Trek. I'm by no means a trekkie, but that movie was absolutely phenomenal. It went perfectly right by staying away from the intricacies about how warp drives work or how time-space is woven, and stayed with simple characters following a simple plot. There's a good chance I'll catch a matinee sometime this week. You should too.) and so I have made some early calls. However, in the first couple months of this PGA season, I am yet to see anything resembling the Tiger of old. His shots are erratic. His focus is shaken, and his competitive drives seems diminished. I hope he re-tools his swing, but even that might not be enough. Remember, he went through essentially reconstructive knee surgery. This is not a hang nail. It's the knee that made Augusta lengthen the course. Countless athletes are forced to hang it up because they can't come back like they were.

Thankfully for Tiger, his B game is better than 95% of the tour's A+ game, so he doesn't need to come back full strength to win, but I don't think he'll come back enough to win another five majors. I simply don't believe it.


But here's what I wanted to spend some time on. I was watching tv with the girlfriend, and on came the trailer for "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past". She turned and said something to the effect of, "that looks like a good movie. We should go watch it." I looked to her and said that if she wanted to go see it, that that was great. I however, would not be sitting next to her. She was a little dismayed, so I had to tell her why. "I'm done with Matthew McConaughey romantic comedies. I've seen all he has to offer, and I am not particularly fond of it. I'm done with him."


And I am. I really am. I loved How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, but all of his other efforts are weak at best. As far as I'm concerned, his talent well has ran dry. Obviously, to say I wouldn't go to the movies with the girlfriend wasn't for real, but she believed it, (and might be a little upset that I'm saying now that I would have actually gone to it with her. Conveniently, I was out of town for it's release weekend, so I never had to deal with the issue, but I clearly have given myself a new issue to deal with) and hence, went to see it with a friend. I don't think I'll watch it at all. Possibly ever.


This leads me to the following two lists: the actors who's movies I will never watch, and those who's I will always watch. The second one, regretfully for my wallet, is significantly longer. This is because actors who I don't like, tend to be poor actors, and quickly wind up unemployed. Regardless, I feel it good to put these lists out there as well as a couple of guys who are teetering on the edges of these lists. And for clarification, these are all time dependent, meaning I will only avoid/attend their movies released from now on.

The Matthew McConaughey Miserables:

Matthew McConaughey, Sylvester Stallone, Johnny Depp, Jordana Brewster (she is horrible, and not that hot when compared to other hollywood-ites. She would blow normal people away, but she has set herself apart from normals and has done so to her detriment), and Sarah Jessica Parker.

Those who just might fall in: Hugh Grant (show me something new), Eva Longoria (see Brewster above), Kevin Costner (his baseball movies are keeping him out), Jessica Biel, and Will Ferrell (To his credit, he always delivers what you expect him to, but that's it. He's going to have a couple of lines from each movie that people are going to quote for months, but that's mostly because of it's non-sensical nature. He seems like a less intelligent Vince Vaughn, which says something. He has one character, and I'm quickly getting tired of it.)


I simply don't enjoy the product these people put out.


The Harrison Ford All-Stars:

Harrison Ford (Although that last Indiana Jones really hurt him), Will Smith (he gets my $8.50 without question), Simon Pegg, Matt Damon, Tom Cruise (I don't care if he's crazy, he's great on the screen),Leo DiCaprio, Justin Long, Jennifer Aniston and Julia Roberts.


On the fringe: Shia LeBeouf (did he make an Even Stevens movie, because if so, that might his only blemish on an otherwise impressive resume), Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, Reese Witherspoon and Christian Bale.


Sure, they may not be perfect, but they're pretty close. I do love them, and I support them with my finances.

Word.

5 comments:

The Girlfriend said...

I'm definitely keeping this information in my back pocket. I figured that if I asked nicely enough, you'd go, though I was wise to keep my mouth shut. And now we wait for a rainy day... :-)

Michelle said...

Have you seen Stranger Than Fiction? It's THE Will F movie, and he gives more than can ever be expected, and it is his lowest grossing film. Sad how the good stuff just doesn't sell.

It's worth renting.

McKay said...

Hey Rick,

I always love reading your oppinions because they're well humorous.

My question is what if one from each list is in the same movie...say Hitch with Will Smith and Eva?

What's the beef with Johnny Depp? You may not like the movies, but you can't deny he is a good actor.

Friend of The GF said...

Matthew McConaughey is greasy looking. I'll agree he was good in How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days, but that's it. A word of advice: Tread carefully with The Girlfriend. She'll put you in your place when you least expect it.

Unknown said...

Here's the thing, I'm totally with you on like 98% of this. But Hugh Grant ALWAYS, and I repeat, ALWAYS gets my money. I don't even know why, I just really love every movie he's in (except Music and Lyrics... though you gotta admit, it's still funny seeing him sing Pop! Goes My Heart). Also on my ALWAYS list is Hugh Jackman (though I felt awesomely hoodwinked with Australia), AND (and this surprises me that you don't mention him anywhere... because of all people, I thought you would probably understand my obsession) John Cusack. I am definitely a succor for anything John Cusack -- even better if Joan or the 80's are involved.
I refuse to watch Jackie Chan, Jennifer Lopez, and even Jack Black is starting to really disappoint me. Nacho Libre? For reals? But his role in The Holiday redeems him for now.

Also... the whole point of me even making this comment... Ghosts of Girlfriends Past is, quite possibly, THE WORST movie I have EVER seen. Luckily I watched it illegally and didn't have to actually pay to waste my time. Charles Dickens is rolling over in his grave about that movie. So, pat yourself on the back for putting your foot down on that one.

Oh yeah, and I want you to know that I'm like, SO happy about you and The Girlfriend. She's cute too. About time.