Monday, May 30, 2011

I Guess I'm Not As Strong As I Used To Be

Yeah, that last post was kind of a cop-out. Can we just let that slide? You expect more from me, and I expect more from me. So, to make it up to you, the half-dozen or so consistent readers hailing from all over the country, I decided to give you a little extra this week. Maybe I'm getting softer in my old age. Maybe I'm actually enjoying doing this after about 3.5 years or so. Maybe I like the warmth of a laptop on my lap while I'm watching a movie. I don't know. Odds are, it's all of them combined. Regardless, I hope you enjoy this, because I slammed it all out in the space of about 20 minutes and I'm going with it.

First thing I'd like to bring up: I hate my phone. When I got back from St. Maarten, one of the first things I needed to do was get a new cell phone (side note: I kind of miss not having a cell phone. Make no mistake, my phone lies unbothered for well over 85% of the day, so it's not that I'm getting overwhelmed by call or text volume. It's the exact opposite reason why I miss not having a cell phone. I miss not having to look at the phone, and realize there are no calls or texts. Cue the cheesy rift of "Lowered Expectations"). Turns out, they're kind of critical in today's society. If you don't believe me, go on a cruise and see how much different your life is for that week. Anyway, I did a little research, and decided to go with the Palm Pre Plus. Yep. Palm is A ) still around and B ) makes cell phones. I had read the reviews and realized that it was a nice balance of what I wanted: A slide, not flip, phone; tactile buttons; camera; and email. Additionally, it would only cost me about $50. The iPhone 4 was a possibility, but a possibility that had a $100-200 tag on it (I can't remember how much, but it was noticeably more than the Palm Pre). I saw a couple blackberry options, but honestly, I didn't like the idea of a blackberry. It seemed like too much machine for me. I like things simple. Above all, I like things simple.

I spend the better parts of my day thinking of complex scenarios and situations. Needlessly mind you, but that's what I do. I look around the room and think about things like "What if there was a fire and that exit is blocked?" Or "Is there a better way to lay out the furniture?" Or "Is it worth it to try and invest the little savings I have in a business venture, or just to let it slowly grow by interest?" And those are just the not sports or girls related ones. I'd share those, but really, they'd either bore, impress, confuse or upset you. Three of those I try to avoid. 25% chance? Not worth the risk.

Back to the phone. So I've had this one for about 5 months now. And I hate it. I'm already on a replacement because the power button, which is practically the only mechanical button outside the keyboard, stopped working. Kind of an important button. Additionally, about a month back it stopped receiving picture messages. An hour or so with customer services, and it worked again. Last week, back to not being able to receive pictures. Worst of all, the ability to search the internet is spotty, and that's kind. If I'm moving at all, forget about it. It's a step above having to be in wi-fi area, and that's it. Smart phone my tuckus.

Went to the ATT store because they have that fantastic promo to get the iPhone 3gs for just $50. I was hoping I could renew my agreement, pay the $50, turn in the crap phone I have and then be done with it. I realize that my phone bill would likely increase on the monthly basis, but for the added features, not to mention the fact that it works nearly all the time, worth it. Unfortunately, they won't let me sign into a new agreement until August. Of 2012. Great. I understand exactly why. Heck, I go over this same issue on a daily basis with the people I talk to at my job. No harm, no foul. Then the guy tells me that I could buy the phone off of KSL. When people in Utah say KSL, I instantly translate that into eBay. Not that I don't check KSL classifieds, but I check eBay first because, well I know it, and I trust it. Turns out, even a used iPhone 3gs with 8gb is going to run me about $200. Even if I sell my Palm Pre over the same medium, the net cost is about $100-125. And I'm still not sure what my monthly bill would move to. A lot of questions, not a lot of answers. If you have the answers, such as how much the monthly bill for an iPhone would be, that would be great.

Second thing: Been on the dating scene now for a couple months. I can tell you this: It's exactly the same as when I left it. Handful of courageous guys (some might use other adjectives, but I'll go with this one because I know the chutzpah it takes to do what they do) willing to walk up to any and every girl in the room, engage in brief but meaningful conversation, and request a phone number. Bunch of girls always in small groups of 2-4 talking amongst themselves while also noticing whom else is in the room. And the bulk of people just milling about as though there wasn't any social undercurrent trying to steer people together.

I used to be part of that first group. Believe me when I say, there is a not a scenario that I have not asked for a girl's number in. I'm not proud of them all, but I've done them all. In a class? Of course. At church? You betcha. Those are the easy ones. How about at a party where your friends are leaving and you just noticed her on your way out? Yessir. What about while at McDonalds and ordering food? Indeed. After going through a temple session? Sure did.

Now, oh man, I wait forever to ask for a girl's number. Truthfully, I like for there to be a solid reason other than "I want to ask you out", when I ask for their number. This is two-fold: 1) increase my odds of the second date (the first date is almost a given. It's the second date that is always up in the air. However, last girl I tried to ask out, definitely said no when I first asked her out. But that's certainly more than exception than the rule), 2) allows both of us to become comfortable around each other. This is more for their sake than mine. If you read this, you likely know me. If you know me, you know that I'm more or less comfortable all the time, especially in low body count situations.

I just don't have the stamina that these young bucks do, going into the fray time and again. Nor do I have the resilience of getting on the horse and bucked off on a weekly basis. Just don't got it in me anymore. Now-a-days, I pick my spots that I feel are higher percentages. Goodness knows, I'm not always right, but I play the odds. The downside is your volume goes down. Dramatically. Let me rephrase that. My volume goes down. Some guys seem to fall bass ackwards from one relationship into another, or from one girl to another (yes, there's a difference, a rather large difference). I'm not in that group.

What I'm saying is that the dating scene has not changed in the least. I have changed in the most. Not sure why, just know that I can't go back. This isn't good because I have to relearn how to maneuver. It's like I moved from shortstop to right field. Nothing against right field, but it gets far less activity, and demands less agility and resilience than playing shortstop. Still the same game, but completely different skills.

Third thing: I'm getting a Utah driver's license on Tuesday. My Florida one expires that day, and I can't renew it by mail. I figure that I won't be going to grad school in Florida, so there's no advantage to maintaining residence there. I might attend grad school in Utah, might as well get the in-state discount. Additionally, just because I have a Utah license, does not mean I have to register my car in Utah. No emissions or safety tests for me, thank you very much. I'll keep that $35 a year in my pocket.

I am sad to let the Florida license go though. It's been with me for so many thousands of miles. I'm not sure how many because the car I drove in college had a broken odomoter. I can tell you that I've driven my current car about 52,000 miles in the 3.5 years I've owned it. Oh, and it was parked in a warehouse for 1.5 of those years. I have to figure that I at least double that amount in the other car, and then added about 40k during high school. All in all, that license has seen me through about 200,000 miles. It is probably the oldest thing I still currently own. Except for my alarm clock. Had that thing since day 1 of the mission. Alas, all good things come to an end.

Fourth: I still really like tootsie rolls. I've been working on a bag this weekend. Got about 8 left. Don't ask for them. You won't get them.

Word.

3 comments:

britrussl said...

My alarm clock is SO OLD, too! Well, one thing that's older is the 12" tv that I still have. And use. That'd be from the Carissa Court days. *sigh*

Unknown said...

I totally make up complex scenarios in my head... ALL THE TIME. Surprisingly enough, many of these scenarios involve a dinosaur and/or a pirate. Don't know why.

Also, I got a Utah license when I went to the Y. It wasn't a big deal from me, but at the time, it's probably because I felt like it was an upgrade from an Idaho license. :)

McKay said...

KSL is awesome! Better than eBay IMHO. I miss it here in Texas cause all we have is Craigslist, which is pretty pathetic.

Oh and Happy Birthday, I know it's a day late, but I did remember on my own w/o any Facebook helps (I never look at those annoying notifications). That has to count for something, right?