Monday, September 19, 2011

It's Been Some Time Since We Last Spoke

Couple quick things while I still remember them:

1. Strawberry Dum-Dum pops taste just like that numbing stuff that dentists use right before they give you the shot. You know, they stick that pinkish-reddish goop on a q-tip and then delicately place it along your gumline so that the surface where they are going to stick the needle is desensitized? Yep, tastes just like a strawberry Dum-Dum pop. Unless you had the cherry goop, which tastes nothing like a cherry Dum-Dum pop. That one tastes like every other "cherry" medication out there.

2. I've decided my favorite time of year is the last half of spring, summer and the first part of fall. I like it warm for the most part, but today it was neither warm nor cold when I stepped out of the office for lunch. It was calm with a cool breeze. Perfect weather for anything outdoors. But then, I kept walking to my car and felt the sun shine down. I swear to you, I heard angels. It was like a warm wind, but not a wind at all. Just a gentle wash of warmth. Fantastic. On the downside, considering it is September, this is signifying that winter, my nemesis, is on its way. Still, going to enjoy this climate while its still enjoyable.

3. Go watch "Warrior". As expected, I loved it. Then again, I watch UFC fights and buy into dramatic movie characters. What wasn't nearly as expected was the girlfriend enjoying it. It was a later showing, and she's not shy about dozing off during a movie. She was on edge for the better part of the movie. The characters are all very well developed and it's almost impossible to avoid getting wrapped up in the dynamic relationships between the characters. You find yourself at times rooting for and against each of the three main characters, and none of it feels contrived. Just a solid movie from start to finish. It does have a fighting element, but it doesn't get deep enough into it to throw off those unfamiliar to the octagon (in the movie's case, a hexagon because UFC has trademarked the eight-sided ring). It's most certainly worth your $8.50.

4. Ribs are really good. I forget this from time to time, because in a steakhouse I almost always go for the steak. I mean, it's called a steakhouse and I hope there is a valid reason for that moniker. If there was a ribhouse, I feel I would have to order the ribs over the steak, but I'm yet to find out, and the closest alternative is a place called RibCity, where I had the pulled pork lunch plate. Anyway, went up to Park City and had the ribs (St. Louis spareribs. Baby back ribs annoy me with the low meat to bone ratio. Too much work, not enough payout) at Bandit Grill. Absolutely delicious. Only downside is that they didn't have a half-rack option. Thankfully, they do offer take home boxes and I've had ribs for dinner for the past three nights now. Odds are, tonight will make it four. In case you were wondering, they are fantastic. Just moved up a notch in my book.

5. Fall TV schedule is kicking off. Ask me if I checked the DVR to see if there was enough space to handle my course load of shows. Thankfully, there is plenty, and if needs be, I'll just hook up a hard drive to the thing and never worry about it. I mean, I watch a fair amount of shows. House, How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Fringe, TUF, Jersey Shore, Top Shot, One Tree Hill, and those are just the ones I can name without pausing. Yes, it sounds like a lot, but it averages to like an hour a day. And other than an occasional Storage Wars or Pawn Stars (History Channel owns me) and, of course, sports, I don't watch a lot of TV. Thanks to the DVR and online streaming, I'm able to keep up with all of these. I know, it's impressive.

6. I miss the second TV. Watching college football is fantastic, but it was better when I had two games going at once. Now with one, I'm having to flip back and forth, and I always feel like I'm missing something. The better part of the week will be spent on figuring out how to make the picture-in-picture work on the TV. I know it's not the same, but it will have to do.

Word.

2 comments:

a. dancepants said...

I wish I had DVR so I could have a long list of shows to watch. As it is, I have cable that barely functions which means lots of discovery channel and shows only if I can remember them... yes, Rick. I'm JEALOUS.

britrussl said...

(1) can your favorite time of year really be half the year? I mean, come on. Just say it: you like baseball playoff season the best.

(2) I was going to chide you for posting about ribs without mentioned how awesome St. Louis ribs are, but you did order the "St Louis style" ribs...so I'll let it pass. Remember: every Memorial Day weekend. In case you're in the market for mini vacations in the future.