Friday, March 7, 2008

What Could It Be? It's a Mirage. You're Scheming On a Thing.

Driving around the other day, and Mike makes the comment: You like pop music more than anyone I know. Now, Mike knows a lot of people, probably more thanhe wants to know to be honest. So to say that I like pop music more than all of them, well it just makes me swell with pride.

I have eleven preset FM stations. Three are country, two are for the same hip-hop station, one for alternative rock (and no, Paramore does not fit that category), leaving five different stations set for pop music. Yes I love it. More than a man my age should. It's just so good, at least most of it. Granted, Mike did make his statement while I had my window down in 30 degree weather bumping "Low" by Flo Rida. I can't be the only one who does this. I certainly hope I'm not. Surely people have those songs where as soon as they hear it, their day becomes measurably better. Go ahead. Admit it. You slap the steering wheel in rhythm to Push by Matchbox 20, or rock out to the chorus of Pour Some Sugar On Me. It's ok. We all do it. Just don't tell me it's Beautiful by James Blunt. We won't be friends anymore. I hate that song. Period.

Here's what I'm thinking though. Flo Rida just released a new single. It's ok. Not that bad, but it certainly is no Low. As such, he is doomed to fade into mediocrity. It will get moderate radio play, but nothing compared to Low. In fact, Low will probably be in heavier rotation throughout the second song (Notice even I don't know it's name. That's how much it will always be overshadowed.)

What were his producer's thinking? My only thought is that they realized this was his only shot for fame. They sat around the table and said "One-hit wonder. That's his ceiling." Clearly, they hit the ceiling, with Low being feature in a prominent movie, and becoming the #1 downloaded song of all time on iTunes (Let that wash over you). So they acheived their mission. But if they at all thought, hey, he's got talent and could go for a couple years, why lead off with Low and promote it to death? Within two days, it was pretty safe to say that this time next year Flo Rida is just going to be a trivia question answer.

This happens all the time. A band comes out with a single that just kills it, and then fades away into nothing. Want a list: ChumbaWumba, New Radicals, Daniel Powter, Dream, O-Town, BBMak, The Verve Pipe. I can go on. But that is sufficient. Those have all been within the last ten years, but they're the most memorable ones.

Do record producers not realize that if they want their band to be more than a one hit wonder, they need to realize a good song first, and then follow it with a great song? It's when that second song goes big that the band gets instant credibility and staying power. Usher released You make me wanna, which was good, but then followed it up with My way, which was much better, from the same album, making him credible. You almost have to sabotage the first release to make sure the hyperactive media/public doesn't blow your success out of proportion.

I'm starting to wonder if the same is true with relationships. Maybe the first date should be good. Nothing spectacular, just barely memorable. Enough for them to say, yeah I remember that without thining about it being bad. Then on the second date, you bring your A game and leave them saying, Wow, two dates that went well, this must be a good thing. Then you've got them hooked. You have established yourself as a go-to-guy and one who performs well. The key, I guess, is being able to quickly decide if you're dating a one-hit wonder, or a perennial powerhouse. Honestly, if you can read it as a one hit wonder, maybe your better off maxing out your abilities in round one, leaving nothing in the take for the round two that likely wasn't going to happen anyway.

Just think of it if you were on the receiving end. The first date went ok. They were kind, polite and seemed like fun, but nothing exceptional. So you take the second date because you figure, the first one went fine, why not go out again. Better than playing Contra. (It's probably not better than Contra, even if it went perfect. If it ever is, go find a ring. No, seriously. If a friend calls me and said it went better than Contra, I'm getting out of bed and we're looking at rings within an hour.)

Round two happens and it's fantastic. They're charming and funny and even look/smell good. they took to a fun/nice/whatever-impresses-you place and really made you feel special. Now that person is looking terrific, and you're anticipating rounds three, four and five.

Now, what stopped them from doing date two on date one? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. It's just simple strategy. Worked for the Backstreet Boys, Usher, Michael Jackson, Justin Verlander, and probably all of my married friends.

You see, I've always been releasing Low on the first date, and it just hasn't been getting me the longevity I was looking for. Is it wrong for me to tank the first round, just so I can over impress them with my normal material in the later rounds? Maybe, but if it works, I'll do it. Word.

No comments: