Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I Wake Up Every Evening With A Big Smile On My Face

I just got a DVR, and it is a fantastic invention. I had to get my own because the communal one continued to delete my shows, sometime mysteriously, sometimes not so mysteriously. Needless to say, there were a dozen or so shows I needed to get on the schedule, but ask me what I recorded first? That's right, a show recounting the top 9 shortstops of all time. I honestly think that I have recorded at least one show from MLBTV everyday on average since getting the DVR.
The point is, baseball is life. I live for the Chicago White Sox. I really do. Well, them, cheese, bacon, and girls. Not necessarily in that order. Last year I put up predictions about the year, and did marginally well. I say that, because I did well with the American League, and was horrible with the National League, likely because I didn't bother to do any research on it.
It's a new year, and with that come new hopes, dreams, and prognostications.
I welcome you to the 1st annual Rick Russell Knows More About Baseball Than You Do competition.
Do I know more about baseball than you? I guess the better question is do you know more than I do. I'm willing to wager $50 that I know more than everyone else does.
Now, I don't expect you to put $50 up against me, because I don't many, if any people are willing to. So here's the deal. I'm giving $50 to the winner of a contest I'm setting up. The guidelines will be coming shortly. If there are two people that beat me, than whoever beats me by the largest margin will get $40, and the second largest margin will get $10.
Here's what I'm asking for from you. One dollar. That's it. But not just any plain dollar. On this dollar bill you must write "Rick Russell knows more about baseball than I do" and then sign it. That's it. For one dollar, you have a shot at $50. This is open to anyone and everyone.
So if you think you have a shot of knowing more about baseball than me, bring it on.
The guidelines are as follows:

Everyone will start with 100 points. They will then predict the amount of wins for every team. At the end of the season, we'll compare the actual results and you'll subtract a point for every game you are off.
Also, predictions will be made for the playoffs. You'll pick four teams to make the playoffs, and for each one you get correct, you'll get five bonus points. You'll also predict which teams will win their division or wild card, and each correct choice will garner another five points. Picking a correct team in the World Series will net an additional 15 points. And picking the World Series winner will garner 20 bonus points.
Those are the team criteria, but to help you regain the points you'll lose over the season, I've also included a 5 point bonus for properly selecting the MVP, CY Young, or ROY winners. And there will be a 2 point bonus per All-Star Game starter correctly selected.
Highest score wins, and if you score less than me, I get your dollar.
Simple enough?
For a shortcut version on the scoring rubric, here it is:
100 pt start.
Subtract the difference between each teams actual wins and your predicted amounts.
Add 5 points for each playoff team
Add 5 points for each correct playoff designation
Add 15 points for picking a World Series team
Add 20 points for picking the World Series winner
Add 5 points for picking a ROY, MVP or Cy Young winner
Add 1 point for picking an All-Star Game starter.
All entries must be emailed to rickrussell239@gmail.com by 11:59 PM EST on March 15th.

Total it up, sign your dollar and mail it to me when you realize that I beat you.
I'll be updating results on bi-weekly basis until the all-star game, and then on a weekly basis after that.
So there you have it. The gauntlet has been laid down, the challenge presented. Will you step up? It's open to anyone who is willing to sign over the dollar bill as indicated. Email your entries to rickrussell239@gmail.com, but know that I won't read then until March 16th. This way, I won't be influenced by your picks, and since I'm not putting mine up until the 16th, you won't be swayed by mine.
Word

1 comment:

Courtney said...

My husband will take you up on your challenge. I want some money!!!