Monday, August 2, 2010

I Could Use A Dream Or A Genie Or A Wish To Go Back To A Place Much Simpler Than This

Wow, a whole month huh? After I had turned out three in consecutive weeks. I'm sorry. I feel like I got your hopes up for some sort of regular turnaround time, and then completely destroyed it. Truthfully, I hoped to be able to turn one out a week, but I kid you not, this med school stuff ain't no joke.

But I'm not here to talk about that. I'm here because Mike and I made another wager. We make a lot of them. Surprisingly, the one thing we haven't wagered on is girls. I'd love to say it's because we're gentleman and that doing so would be uncouth, but odds are its because we never could think about how to quantify things.

The most recent bet, and one that makes me a little giddy at the prospect of winning, concerns Dustin Pedroia and Robinson Cano. They are the second baseman for the Red Sox and Yankees, respectively. Looking up their stats, aside from this year where Cano has been performing well above his career averages and Pedroia has been on the DL for extended periods of time, Pedroia has been better. By almost every metric. So what's the bet? Who will be better during the 2011 and 2012 seasons? He's got Cano, of course, and I've got Pedroia.

That's the boring stuff. Here's the good stuff. If I'm right, Mike has to refer to Pedroia for an entire year solely as the "2008 AL MVP". He currently refers to him in language that is...colorful. Not tasteless, but I would think twice about using it over the pulpit. I probably would still use it, but that's why I'm not the Elder's Quorum President (which, coincidentally, is the reason I would use it over the pulpit). Additionally, he will have to refer to Cano solely as "Buster Olney's hump buddy". I'm already trying to see if there is a way I can get my hotmail account to send out a message every morning asking him about how Cano and Pedroia did, just so he has to respond using their new names.

Hopefully, I can talk him into making a slapbet. If you're not familiar with this term, go watch How I Met Your Mother, Season 2, Episode "Slapbet". It is worth your 22 minutes. Even if you've never seen an episode of this show, you will find yourself on the floor laughing. Admit it. Just reading the word 'Slapbet', an intrigued smile crept across your face. Check the mirror.

There it is. It is just as good, possibly better, than you imagine it to be.

I wish I had more to say, but I've been hitting the books hard for the past week and will likely continue to do so until after finals on the 17th. You have no reason to expect a post between now and then. However, there'll probably be one during the week after finals. I'm sure something will be worth writing about.

Lastly, going to Florida for a week after finals and then Utah for a week right before coming back for the next semester. Let me know if you'll be in either location.

Word.

3 comments:

McKay said...

Part of me wants to follow baseball just so I can understand what you are talking about. The only thing I know about it right now is that my home team, the Astros, are awful and just traded away two franchise players.

Unknown said...

Don't worry, I'm still here in UT El Guapo. And I now live surprisingly close to Mike and Spencer. There's no excuse for us not seeing each other whilst you're here.

Michelle said...

hahaha. I kinda dated this professional baseball player this year. I had to be like, "Um, is the Cubs minor or major league?" Then I lost my phone in a cab and it seems it just wasn't meant to be. Oh, well, he's pitching for the Phillies next year. Peace.