Monday, August 30, 2010

What I've Got's Full Stock Of Thoughts And Dreams That Scatter

You want to know what store is amazing? The Apple Store. Not even kidding with you. I spent about an hour or so there today, and it was quite the experience. Outside of Black Friday sales, I have never witnessed the scene I saw walking into the Salt Lake City Apple Store, on a random Monday, at 2pm. For starters, the place is visually impressive. Even though there were dozens of computers and devices on display, with most of them being used, the layout was not oppressive and the crowds were not a hindrance. And despite the fact that nearly everybody in the store was talking at the same time, I could still hear Hall and Oates's classic 'You Make My Dreams Come True' over the speaker system. I can not speak highly enough about this. The staff were plentiful and seemed to be razor sharp. To the point that I honestly believe that none of them really learned on the job. I had the chance to watch at least a dozen people come in with problems, concerns and questions, and at point was any staff member flustered or confounded. Everything was smooth and with a smile. I almost bought an iPad just to reward them on being so great. (Well, that, and the fact that iPad is amazingly cool, but I just can't justify the cost right now).

Now why was I there you ask? It turns out, an iPod is a lot like the wicked witch of the west. You get some water on it, and it's done for. And mine got a lot of water on it. So I spent the morning driving from store to store, each one referring me up the chain until I found myself heading to the Apple Store at the Gateway in Salt Lake. I show up, wait about 45 minutes for an appointment (yes, they have you make an appointment, and I got lucky because one opened up about 10 minutes after I got there. After that one, I was looking at waiting about 2 hours for the next one. So yeah, if you're going there for reasons other than taking in the ambiance, make an appoinment ahead of time. Or clear your afternoon) and after talking with the guy for ten minutes, I'm walking out the door with a fresh replacement. Fantastic. Only in America can you walk into the store with a defective, high-end electronic device, and walk out with a completely new working model the same hour. If I was back on St. Maarten (or whatever is left of it after the hurricane), this would have taken three weeks at least, and about $100 in shipping fees. Here? $20 in gas. Can't beat it.

I do love America.

Word.

3 comments:

Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

God bless America! I wondered where you were on our Words with Friends game! This explains your absence :) Hope to see you soon!

McKay said...

As much as I hate to say it, the iPad is pretty awesome. I think I'm going to wait for the next generation though so I can have the added features (maybe an HD video camera?) that they will inevitably add to it.

Rick said...

I forgot to mention one other cool aspect about the store. Entire front of the store is glass except for one sliver to hold the lock. Very chic, but also led to a hilarious moment. Walking out and ahead of me was a mom holding one child while her little daughter walked along side of her. Well, the daughter was transfixed on the floor and wham! headfirst into the glass wall and down she went, only about a foot and half in front of me. I started to reach down to help her, but the mom was already there. Then I started to laugh as the episode started replaying in my mind and I quickly exited.