Monday, December 6, 2010

Famous, Everybody Wanna Be Famous

This wasn't my intended goal when I titled the blog "Can't Be Any Geek Off The Street", but needless to say, I'm very proud of it. Go to any major search engine and type in that phrase. It's going to be within the top 3 results. You don't even need the whole thing, just "Can't Be Any Geek" Of course, if you string any four unique words in a line, chances are there are only a couple of hits no matter what the words are, but I picked one of the iconic songs of the mid-nineties, which stole it from a somewhat popular movie. You would assume there would be more relevant references on the entire internet, but you would be wrong. This little blog of three years now has eclipsed both Warren G (Feat- Nate Dogg)'s legendary mid-90s track "Regulators", as well as the movie "Young Guns', where the quote originally came from.

Conversely, typing in my name gets you nowhere near the actual me. The closest I get is using google, and if you type in "Rick Russell Satellite Beach Diving 2000", it shows the results from Florida's 2A state diving meet where I finished 10th (Yeah, I used to be pretty dang good at that. Now, I'm probably just better than you and can impress people who aren't well versed in how to score a dive. It's weird how fine tuned skills atrophy when they're not used.) That's right. It takes more words to find any article about me, as opposed to one from me. And it's not even an article. It's one line, from a results sheet, of a high school event, 10 years ago.

The Internet. If you don't make a name for yourself, no one will do it for you.

Word.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

When are you coming back to the 'tah?

Courtney said...

ha ha, that is funny!

Michelle said...

That. is. awesome!