Thursday, February 3, 2011

As For Me I'd Like To Thank My Lucky Stars That I'm Alive And Well

I'm fixing to have some Panda Express with Mike, and I realized that I can't remember the last time I had Panda. Very excited about this development. Note: This will have very little organization. Sorry.

After spending a little over a month here in Utah, I'm really glad I made the decision to move out here, rather than stay in Florida. Yes, it is so cold that I have actually counted my fingers to make sure I still have ten. And yes, I do miss having playable golf courses 20 minutes away. But beyond that, every category indicates that I made the right decision. There are jobs here, there are friends here, there are girls here and there are sports here. And that may or may not be a prioritized list.

Most certainly though, the fact that there are job opportunities out here is at the top of the list. I am a man with expenses. I like things like a roof over my head, and food on my plate and an occasional fun dip or bag or tootsie rolls. High Maintenance? The highest. And you get what you pay for. I've been fortunate to field a couple of interviews so far, but nothing definite yet. Still waiting to hear back from one of the companies, so fingers are crossed. Personally, I expected to be hired by now (I know, shocker that I thought highly of my own abilities), but I kind of understand that some companies might be hesitant to take on a risk on me. I don't have the best work history, due in large part to pursuing medical school, and some people might think I can't handle their work load.

Pure rubbish. Either way, they make the decisions, I wait for them to do so. That is the game, and I must play.

On to things with less suck: Pitchers and Catchers report in 11 days! I know. Very exciting. Soon enough, I'll have to plan a trip down to Arizona for spring training, then BYU and UVU will open their seasons, then the Owlz and Bees, and then I'll make some pilgrimage to a pro ballpark. I can't think about it for too long, or I'll start pulling up calendars and schedules, checking to see when the optimal times are.

Also, I have landed a part-time teaching job with Kaplan. I'll be teaching their MCAT prep course starting this March. It's a two nights a week thing, so it's essentially some nice extra pay without interfering with my prospects for a full-time job or B-school. Speaking of B-school, got my GMAT scores back a little while ago, but I don't think I posted the results here. I did well. A 710 (92% percentile). Not as high as some of my practice scores, so I was a little disappointed, but not too much. It should be high enough to get me accepted, but after the med school fiasco, I have little faith in a test score's ability to offset anything.

What I am really excited for is the Super Bowl. Not the game really, but the party inherent to the game. Again, give me a reason to talk with people around a lot of food, and I'm going to take it 9 times out of 9. Throw in a sports event, and I'm all over it. So this is a great thing. To make it better, I'm thinking about having everyone come in and some friendly wagers. Not on anything as trivial as the winner of the game, point spread, or over/under, but on the important things like: What will Fergie wear during the half-time show? How long will Christina Aguilera's National Anthem be? How will the first touchdown be celebrated? You know. The stuff that really matters. I think I'm going to try and get a big poster board, list the wagers, and then print out head shots of the known guests and have then tape their picture on which sides of each line they want. Winner gets... a jar of salsa. Medium, not hot. I know, high stakes, but it is the super bowl. So, the handful of you people who both read this, and plan on showing up at my place for the super bowl, start pondering whether Ryan's commerical will be Dorito's 1st, 2nd, or 3rd of the night, or not shown at all. Weigh out whether Ben Roethlisberger's or Aaron Rodger's girlfriend will be shown on first. Try to figure out how many times the announcers will say "Brett Favre". There's a jar of dip on the line.

Word.

1 comment:

McKay said...

I guess I'm one of the handful fortunate enough to read this, but not be going to your place for the super bowl. Good luck with the job search.