Tuesday, January 15, 2008

It's like having to ride a bicycle, but with only one leg

Over the past week, it came to me that school can actually be tough. I've coasted my way from junior high through college without ever spending more time in a library than in front of a tv/at a sporting events/reading/traveling. The ratio isn't even close to one. Seriously, I would estimate that during the scholastic periods of 2007, it was probably up around 35 to 1, play to study hours. That doesn't include the following: eating, sleeping, being on campus for any reason other than sporting events, or anything church related. Not kidding. Ask Mike if you doubt me.
This semester, I'm actually going to see how just how well I could have done if I had actually put in the study time. By no means did I completely excise the play activities, but I have dramatically increased the amount of time I spend focusing on the books. In the past week, I've taken more notes than I did in the past two semesters combined. I'm actually planning weeks in advance, and scheduling time to take care of book reports that I know I could hammer out in one day if I was so inclined, a good month in advance.
It's the first time that I ever thought, man this is kind of rough. Constantly paying attention, trying to grasp every concept instead of the broad strokes, physically writing notes, and meeting with people to review notes. No wonder everyone seemed to be so busy during the semester. They were packed dawn to dusk with activities that revolved around improving their grades.
Getting to the title, I've also realized that being at BYU adds a degree of difficulty to all of this. They expect you to not only do well in class, but they expect you to be socially active.
I like to think that I'm a pretty quick thinker and am moderately smarter than the average person, but my goodness, there is only so much computing capability upstairs. Do they really expect someone to understand antibody gene rearrangement, embryonic cell migration, and pathological effects of gangrene on top of trying to meet/read/make a move on a girl? Really? You're kidding right? I can handle the first three. Or I could get by doing the last one. Doing all four, simultaneously is like hitting a homerun with a nerf bat. Sure, it's possible, but everything has to work out perfectly. (And you need to have the blue nerf bat. The orange ones, I've found, are systemically flimsier.)
If it was still socially acceptable/ potentially successful to ask a girl out after the first meeting, then things would be easier. (By the way, if it is, please dear goodness, someone let me know. Life was much easier when you could just tell a girl, after light conversation, "hey, we should go out for dinner sometime" and mean it.) But it's not. So now, when I meet a girl I'm quasi-interested in, I have to make casual conversation at least twice, invite her to a non-pressure situation, more casual conversation at original point of meeting, invite to her to something moderate pressured and slowly shift the conversation to personal. Oh, all while trying to let on that I'm interested without A) coming off desperate B) coming off egotistical C) saying that I'm interested in her.
So yeah, if I had to handle this class load while making serious efforts to advance my social life, I would see if there was an opening on the cycling team and apply a tourniquet to my right leg.

No comments: