Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Some Other Beginnings End

Yep, I've got a blog. I know what you're thinking. And yes, it's true. I follow trends like dolphins follow trout. (Closely, for those of you wondering). We're going to see how this goes. I'm giving it two weeks. If I get bored of it, I'm done with the blogging. It seems like fun, but who knows.
My biggest concern is what to write about. I'm unsure if anyone has coined this phrase, but if they haven't, I'm claiming copyrights on it. I'm dubbing it the blog paradox.
The ideal purpose of the blog is to write what you think/feel/etc. Something uniquely personal and insightful. This is what makes other people want to read it. However, the other people reading it are often people with whom you want to make a good impression. Hence, you begin to write with this in mind. Soon your posts become less pure, more socially slanted. And now what was originally meant to be a vent for inner ideas/personal viewpoints, becomes an social advertisement for who you are. Especially considering everyone is getting a blog now and publicizing it openly, each blogger is forced to choose between maintaining original blog sanctity, or embracing new blog sociality.
Think about it. Let that wash over you. Blog Paradox. That just happened.
Me, I'm rolling the dice. Well, let me rephrase that, I'm going to try to roll the dice. If you're reading this, than you likely know me. If you know me, you're aware that I tend to over think things. So for me to say that I'm going write as though I'm oblivious to the social impact of each post, that would be akin to saying I pick out my clothes without thinking about what it is currently considered fashionable.
The way I see it, if someone gets here, they're either lost, or they know me. If they know me, they have a good idea about the neural activity occurring upstairs. They know I love the baseball, the movies, the shiny things, and the bright colors. There you have it.
You gotta be handy with the steel if you know what I mean, earn your keep. REGULATORS! (Now go ahead, lie to me and tell me you didn't immediately at least think, if not say out loud, "Mount up.")

No comments: