Tuesday, February 19, 2008

He Doesn't Look a Thing Like Jesus, But He Talks Like a Gentleman

In case of any of you were wondering if you were the luckiest person alive, I can tell you right now, you're third at best. For the longest time I thought I was the luckiest person on the planet. Family is great, friends are always there for me, in general, things have just seemed to work out for me (medical school so far might be the first major setback... ever). I just assumed I was the luckiest person out there because I couldn't completely justify all the good fortune that went my way. But now, I've realized I'm second. When you get paid $4.3 Million to do nothing, and I mean nothing, you are the luckiest person alive. This isn't one of those jobs where you were trying to accomplish a goal, but it didn't work out, so really you're efforts were useless, this is a case where the guy is getting paid to sit at home and never show up to work at all. And this is why Keith Van Horn is now the luckiest guy on the planet. $4.3M and he is expected to never lace up his high-tops or sling on a jersey. His only expectation is to show up to receive the check and then leave. That's it. And there isn't a even a deadline set on that! Yes, he is the luckiest. There might be some out there thinking that Kirilenko's now infamous "freebie" makes him the luckiest, but they're a mistaken. How awkward is that situation? Especially around say thanksgiving? Do you think his wife has to ask if it's been used yet? No one wants that conversation. On the flip side, there is no bad conversation where the subject is "how I made $4.3M in the NBA without ever getting out of bed." Van Horn wins, going away.My only question is, did his agent negotiate how much his client was going to get? He had the leverage knowing that the both sides wanted the deal to go through, and if it didn't work, both GMs would look like Mike Dexter after Amanda Beckett shut the door on him. Seriously, can't you see the agent sitting across the table arguing "Now I know he hasn't played in two years, and he's not close to physical form suitable for play, but he's got to be worth at least $5M, but we'll settle for 4.3." Shrewd. Very shrewd.What you have to gleen from this is that yes, Keith Van Horn is arguably luckier than you'll ever be, but also that he saw a good deal when it came to him and he took it. He didn't look around, wondering if by stalling he could get an extra 500K, he saw the great opportunity and he closed on it like Rivera, vintage 1998. In truth, he probably could have held out for the extra money and gotten it. But he took what was offered and he ran with it.
I've been thinking (yes, I took advil for the cramps). How many people have I seen blow perfectly good opportunities to have relationships because they were looking for the bigger, better deal. This is why there are so many single people around here. People are so concerned about getting the best possible deal that they look past great options.
Let's call a spade a spade. I'm one heck of a catch. Yeah, it's true. I am. I'm a five tool player. But there are better guys out there. I can't fault the ladies for trying to get the best possible, but I do fault them for looking past perfectly fine guys because they're worried about missing out on something better. Here's what I'm realizing: You can keep trying to get something better, but you'll always end up dissatisfied.
By no means should you just settle (Unless you're a smoking hot, intelligent girl who sees me after reading this. You, you can settle for me. I'll live with that.) But realize that a good thing now is better than the potential of a good things later. At the end of everything, you're just trying to find someone that matches you best. They're not going to be perfect, and they're not going to have the most of all the things you're looking for, but they will have the optimal blend of those things.
This area just fosters an environment of everyone thinking they can do better than what they already have. Obviously, this is because girls see me and the other unbelieveably amazing guys, while the fellas see the bevy of beauties that grace this county. But please, just realize that life is good and take it for what it is.
If you're lucky enough to find someone who likes you enough to care about you, and you like them enough to care about them, then hold on for dear life. Like Keith Van Horn holding onto that $4.3M. Yeah, he's also got a wife. That's why he's still the luckiest person in the world. Word.

4 comments:

Jared said...

How in the world do you think up the titles?? I can't see any relationship between the title and the blog on most of your posts. It cracks me up how you can be that random.

Rick said...

It's always about the next lyric in the song. Well, at least the last couple. Just about all of them have been song lyrics. The next line relates to the topic. For example, this one was taken from "When you were young" by the Killers. The next line is "Like you imagined when you were young." It's a effort to remind people that even though they have grown up, that their original ideals are still valid and worthy for dating criteria. Yeah, I'm deep like that.

Jake said...

Very eloquent post. I totally agree. The beauty of it was the title.

britrussl said...

This post cracks me up and makes me hate Keith Van Horn. And I don't even know who he is, really. Even after reading this post.
You're hilarious.
And right.
Somebody should pay you $4.3 million to write professionally.
Maybe Keith Van Horn's interested.