Thursday, February 7, 2008

He's Going The Distance, He's Going For Speed,

I'm a numbers guy. Always have been and pretty sure I always will be. It's just how things are cataloged upstairs. This date, that time, this many occurrences, it's how it goes in the noggin. It's likely because of my deep, passionate love for the baseball. There are two defining moments in my life which separate all events. The first is August 12, 1994. I wore black that day. I still wince at the calendar when it rolls around. The Baseball Strike. Not only did it cancel the World Series for the first time since World War II, but it single-handedly ruined my chances of finding a baseball loving girl. (tear)
The second is July 3, 2002. Coincidentally, also wore black, but this time it was a suit to go into the MTC. Everything I can remember is quickly slotted into whether it was pre-strike, post-strike/pre-mission, and post-mission. They are the benchmarks to which all other events are related.
This brings me to the real meaning of this post. I'm tired as all sin right now. I've spent every night the past week studying until at least 11 and getting up no later than 5:30. I've held hours like this often, but haven't spent them working and studying, usually they're just wasted. I'm pretty exhausted. However, this is moment that needs to be chronicled.
It's probably not something I'll share with the kids. I'm not even proud of it half the time. But it happened. Today, February 7, 2008 marks the thousandth day of being single and without any action. 1000. It looks a little more daunting when you type out the numerals, doesn't it? Go ahead if you want and crunch the number on that. Let it's sheer magnitude wash over you. Tomorrow it will be 143 consecutive weeks, and next week it will be 33 consecutive months.
To put it in scale, I personally know someone who left for his mission, came home, got engaged to a girl he didn't know before, and had it broken off all during my inactivity. It's that long.
Again, I'm only half proud of it. Part of me likes to think that no one has been up to snuff, or that I could end it if I wanted some random girl, but I'm too good for that. Yeah. Take that. The only question is how long will it go? I'm not chasing Ripken here, but how close will it get?
3-1 odds that it gets to 1100
6-1 says it'll hit 1250
10-1 says it hits 1461, or four years even with leap day.
Even that will be 1171 days short of Ripken. Kind of amazing how he was able to do that. So yeah, we're not calling guinness on this, but it is intriguing.
The follow up thought is, is posting this going to increase my chances of snapping the streak, or decrease them? I'm going to end this and let that soak in. Word.

2 comments:

Jared said...

Courtney and I are wearing black today for ya bro.

Unknown said...

it is unfortunate