Saturday, March 26, 2011

His Eyes Are Cold And Restless, His Wounds Have Almost Healed

About two weeks ago, we were all taking in the Jimmer show. It was during the regular season, and the game was being carried by Versus. We came out victorious and were reveling in our success. Meanwhile, Versus switched to their normal programming of the Professional Bull Riding tour. Yes, there are professionals, and yes, they do have a tour. Well, at some point during this I say "That looks awesome". Mike hears this and tells me that he knows a guy down in Payson who rides bulls. He then tells me that they have an open night where anyone with $40 can ride a bull. I say "That sounds awesome". He asks if I would do it if he could raise the money. Of course I will.

I have a couple of friends. I don't know a single one of them that if asked "Would you pay $5 to see Rick get thrown by a bull?" would say no. They all would say either yes, or "Only $5?" I think he had the money raised in surplus within about 10 minutes and 3 mass texts.

So, this past Monday, we had an unofficial FHE at the Spanish Fork fairgrounds. I say unofficial for two reasons: 1) the official activity was swing dancing lessons with two other wards, and 2) the turn-out for this activity was about double what we normally get at FHE. I go to sign up and they look at me in my hoodie and tennis shoes and ask if I'm the first timer. Not "a" first timer, but "the" first timer. I say yes and ask if there are any other first timers. "We usually get one a night. But they never come back." Greeeaaat.

I go down to the pen and there are about 15 or so other guys shooting the breeze, prepping for their ride and picking out their bull. I show up and start talking with anyone who would listen. I had two questions that I needed answered. The first was how do I make sure I don't die. I felt that was an important question. The second was whether I could use someone's vest and helmet. Both were answered simply and I had things set up. I then spent about 40 minutes getting advice from a couple different guys about how to do well. They probably could have told me all of it in 15 minutes, but since every third word was some bull-riding jargon, I had to keep saying "I don't know what that word means. Please explain it to me." Soon though, I had my confidence and my gear and they had more or less assigned me a bull to ride.

One of the guys who helped me out a lot put the ropes on the bull and told me how to mount him. I was waiting my turn and my bull was next in line. Thing is, the bull that was first in line wasn't ready. So they asked if someone was ready, and next thing I know, all the handlers are moving towards my bull and I'm told I'm going right then. A little rushed, but not too worried because I had received enough of the same advice from a different sources that I felt comfortable in what I was going to do. I didn't think I was going to do great, I just felt comfortable that I would put on a decent show and live to tell about it.

So I'm on the bull, I've got the rope in my hand and I'm posturing the right way, when the guy outside the gate tells me to "Go with the bull when the gate opens". This threw me for a loop because I hadn't heard that before, and couldn't imagine any other option. When that gate opened I was going with the bull no matter what. He jumps I jump. He turns I turn. I'm going with him. (Turns out, what he meant was that some people don't lean in to the turn out of the gate. Like riding a motorcycle and you have to throw your body into the turns, same with the bull. Some people try to stay upright and they get tossed into the walls. Not good).

Next thing I know, I'm nodding my head and the gate opens. The bull takes a couple quick steps out of the gate and I lean with him. Then he sits down. Not even kidding. Took like three steps and went to the ground. I knew what to do if the bull went right or left, kicked with the front or the back, but no one told me what to do if he sat down. So I paused for a second and thought about getting off when I hear one of the bull fighters tell me to stay on. Just as I'm gearing back to staying on the bull stands up and jostles me off balance. A quick leap from him and I'm flying off. I crash on my right hip, and then hop up to my feet, scrambling for the nearest wall to climb. Above all else, everyone told me to run to a wall as soon as I left the bull.

I hear my cheering section going crazy for me and I think I gave them a wave. I honestly don't remember because the adrenaline was finally coursing through me at this time. I have this condition where the adrenaline doesn't really kick in for me until after the task is done. I keep things calm and collected all through whatever ordeal is happening, but then once it's over, I have to regroup. I felt like vomiting from the biochemical rush. I sat up on the fence and took a couple deep breaths until the feelings passed. The guys who I spoke with all told me I did a great job for a first time. I told them all thanks for all the help and after I realized I wouldn't have time for a second ride (Oh, did I tell you my friends paid for me to ride twice, regardless of the outcome of the first ride? Yeah. They're great friends), I headed back to my group. Right about then was when I started to feel my hip. It was sore like I haven't been before.

I could barely go from sitting to standing or vice versa. I walked with a pronounced limp for the rest of the night. Tuesday morning, I couldn't put any weight on it. I had to sit down to put my pants, socks and shoes on. It took me three times as long to get into and out of my car. And if I tried to push laterally, a sharp pain shot through my hip letting me know that it wasn't an option. I had to plan how I was going to roll into and out of bed. Wednesday was similar but not as bad. By Thursday the limp was gone, but I still could feel the pain if I stressed it sideways. Finally today I'm at the point where it only hurts if I push on it. I feel it a little getting in and out of the car, but nothing bad.

On Wednesday, Megan who is in nursing school texting me asking if I took any medication for the pain. I told her I hadn't taken anything. She asked if I liked pain. I told her "The hurt reminds me that I did something awesome."


Word.

3 comments:

McKay said...

Rick you're my hero.

Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

AH! That is AWESOME!!! you are so cool!!!!! :D I am SO glad you included a video!! I was a little concerned when I didn't see any pictures! :)

a. dancepants said...

epic.