Thursday, March 3, 2011

Turn Around, Look At What You See

Here it is. #100. You've been waiting for it, and I've been.... too busy to put it together. When you work about 55-60 hours a week, things get a little busy. Now, how does one work that many hours? Glad you asked. I'm a little excited to brag about the fact that I'm gainfully employed, because well, I haven't been at a 40 hour a week position since that one month right after I graduated where I moved to Arizona and worked for Countrywide/Bank of America. Do you realize that since that time, I've lived in three different states, and two different countries? That's how long it's been since I worked a 40 hour week.

And let me tell you, it is an adjustment. I come home and am pretty tired. Ask me what time I went to bed last night. 10:30. Not even kidding. And slept like a baby until 7am. It was heaven. I don't get to do that often because I have to fit the other 15-20 hours of work in. I'm also going to be the MCAT teacher for Kaplan starting in a couple weeks. Right now I have a training program to go through that is pretty hard core. We have to prep the material as though we were teaching the class, and then teach the other instructors in training, as well as our instructor. For the record, I did score well, but that was nearly five years ago, and I've had to re-learn a good chunk of that material. Hence, the long hours of prep for a 4 hour training meeting.

But yeah. That's why it has been over two weeks since the last post. I wake up, go to work, come home, eat some dinner, and then if there isn't FHE/BYU basketball/Stake basketball, I'm probably studying the Kaplan material before watching a movie and going to bed. I know. Try to hide your jealousy. It's embarrassing me.

In the meantime, I dream of Baseball. Ok, maybe not always in the meantime. Maybe right in the middle of things. Maybe I did check to see when the White Sox played in Oakland, the only stadium west of the Rockies that I haven't been to yet (May 13-15. A weekend. I'm this close to buying tickets already. The Saturday game is also Mark Ellis Bat Day. Talk about my wheel house.). And maybe I did check and see what would be a good weekend to shoot over to Denver to watch the Rockies. What of it?

I do love me some Baseball, and now that Spring Training is in full swing, it's like the sun coming out of the ocean. At first, you can't even see it, but the horizon goes purple, letting you know that it's on its way. Then, you notice a point due East that takes on a red and then orange hue. By now, you can't even speak, for fear that you'll miss that magical moment where night unequivocally becomes day. Finally, the ball of fire emerges from the sea, and light scatters everywhere, making the world new again.

That's like Opening Day to me. It just makes every other part of life a little bit brighter, and little bit better. Colors are more vibrant. Girls are more attractive. Apple pie is more... well apple pie is always awesome, but it does become slightly more awesome. Baseball makes the world go round. That's a scientific fact.

And now, it once again is upon us. And once again, I have lain down the gauntlet, challenging all comers to test their wits and steel against mine. Much like Atreyu just before Fantasia fragments due to the nothing, I stare at you and say "Come after me Gmork!" I will vanquish all challengers to my throne. It's just what I do.

So get your game face on. Crunch your numbers. Your picks are due by noon Eastern time on March 31st. That's less than four weeks away. Think about what Beckett's concussion like symptoms will mean to the already shaky Boston staff. Think about how Adam Wainwright going in for Tommy John might effectively end the Cardinals hopes for the playoffs. Think about how losing Cliff Lee puts the Rangers division hopes in jeopardy.

And know that I've already spent time thinking about these things while you were sleeping.

Come after Gmork! I am Atreyu!

Word.