Sunday, December 27, 2009

You're Frozen When Your Heart's Not Open

Christmas has come and gone, and for all those wondering, yes, the tootsie roll bank made a triumphant return from it's year long hiatus. I do love those chocolate morsels. Like oreo cookies love milk.
Also, it means that the impending, possibly becoming "the annual", New Year's Eve trip out to Utah is upon us. For how much I hate the cold, and don't kid yourself, I really hate being cold, I'm thoroughly looking forward to this. And here's a short list why:
1. Wingers. Bar none, favorite restaurant. It did supplant Outback, although Outback still retains the "favorite restaurant where you feel slightly under-dressed wearing a T-shirt and jeans" title. I buy their sauce by the bottle, and put it on the McDonalds/Wendy's dollar chicken sandwiches. I'm telling you, you can't go back once you do this. No seriously. I tried eating one without the sauce and it was so bland I had to stop halfway through and get the sauce out of the fridge. I'm bringing it down to my rock for sure. The only question is how many bottles. International travel allows me to check two bags for free. There's a good chance that I might have one of them be solely Wingers' sauce.
2. The cold. Let me know when your head wraps around that. Ok, I'll clarify. I like coming in for only a handful days, getting a taste of it, enjoying what little things in it there are to enjoy, and then getting the heck out of it for the next 360 days. It's like watching "Roots" just to remind myself how good I have it. (Thank you Christopher Turk). Seeing the bad lets me know just how good I have it. For example: Ten day forecast for Provo has highs ranging from 27-37. For St. Maarten: 79-80. Fantastic.
3. Old friends. (Maybe I should have listed this one first, but retroactively we'll say that the list is not in favorite-order.) I do enjoy the people that I have met at Med School. I thoroughly enjoy most of them and look forward to meeting others. However, nothing replaces old friends. The memories, the inside jokes, the knowledge that you know them possibly better than they know themselves, and that they know you in the same way. Can't beat it.
4. New Year's Eve. Celebrating New Year's Eve in Florida has its perks, but it doesn't beat being around 100's of LDS people who are just out to have a fun time. If you haven't experienced it, I would recommend it.
So yeah, I'm pretty stoked about the trip. I'm about 73% of the stoke-age that I would be for Baseball's Opening Day, which, for something non-sports related, is ridiculously high. If you're going to be in Utah, drop me a line. I have a new cell-phone number which there is no chance of me posting it on this blog, but let me know and I'll get the number to you through some information outlet.
Bring a jacket. 27 is cold enough to make you forget your name.
Word.

No comments: