Monday, December 28, 2009

I Wish That I Could Fly Into Sky So Very High

Watching star trek while experiencing turbulence definitely adds a new wrinkle to the film. However, there were two things in the movie that pleased me. First, they brought back the meaty arm slap as a means of saying hello between two guys. Love it. It just might have the ability to replace the fist bump. I like the fist bump, but feel that it has run its course. The meaty arm slap is fantastic.
Also, it soothes my soul to think that even thousands of years in the future, sabotage by the beastie boys will still be around and in moderate rotation. That is one of those songs that should endure millennia. Simply flawless.
It got me thinking though about what songs I would want preserved for posterity. Obviously Sabotage would front the list. Born to run would have to be on the list. (side note: had a professor come back from a Springsteen concert. Painfully, half the class had no idea who Springsteen was. My jaw fell so far, it almost hit the cadaver. Inexcusable. I blame their parents a little. Not much though.)
She loves you would be the entry from the beatles, just as satisfaction would represent the rolling stones. Say it ain't so, for me at least, is a song that divides people into two groups: those that like it, and my enemies.
I'll also grab superstition, and something recent like cry me a river (I don't think I have ever skipped that song. Ever. Plus, this past decade or so has been so pop heavy, I wasn't left with a lot of revolutionary songs.). Also, give me California love. Always gets everyone on the dance floor.
That's eight deep. Not enough for an album, but a good start. Any suggestions? Got to get at least to twelve to make a respectable set list.
Word.
PS. Posted at 10,000 feet. Believe it.

1 comment:

Jen said...

"i didn't understand his music for a long time... until i began to yearn"- jon stewart (introducing springsteen @ the kennedy center honors).