Friday, January 1, 2010

This Whole Situation Is Incredibly Typical, I Should Have Seen It All Along

Flying back to Florida right now. Delta is treating me right. Wireless Internet and directv in the headrests. Not bad flying accommodations. Only two regrets: 1, That I didn't charge the battery all the way, and 2, That the tv doesn't carry fox so I can't watch the sugar bowl. Basically, I watch the scroll on espn waiting for updates. It's not too bad, but I still have no clue how Florida botched the extra point after the first touchdown.
Looking back on the trip and it can only be described as successful. Truth be told, I have been thinking about whether or not I could make living in Utah a permanent thing. Mostly, it was to gauge my thoughts on cold weather climates. I grew up in an always warm region, and never experienced the cold until college. A backlash was inevitable. That, and no one likes having to walk through snow.
However, living in the climate challenged St. Maarten, I learned I wanted some seasonality in my life. The question was how much could I handle. First couple days did not buttress Utah's case. The last couple days more than made up for it though. The biggest difference was simply the sky. I couldn't stand it when the snow was coming down or when the clouds seemed to be really low. Made everything seem dreary. I don't do dreary. Once the skies cleared, 30' didn't feel so bad. The ice wasn't out to get me. It was a different world.
I'm sold. Of course, that doesn't matter much because I won't have an opportunity to freely relocate for another four years. But after that, I might have to point my wagon to the west and set up shop in the Rockies. Yes, it will still be cold, and yes, I will complain every year about it, but it's better than senses dulling monotony.
Do I even need to expound on the relative dating situations? No. I don't.
Since we're on the subject though, let's talk about dating. More specifically, let's talk about m
Mike's current issues with dating. Why Mike, you ask? Several reasons. First, because he has a situation and I don't have anything close to one. Second, I feel his plight is worth talking about. For the little tykes (Carder I'm looking at you) ear muffs. I'm not going to get crazy, but the term douchebag and it's various conjugations, will be heavily featured.
Why do so many girls knowingly date douchebags? Can anyone explain this? I understand the initial attraction of the rebel or dangerous guy. I get that. Heck, I try to use it in small doses. (Don't crucify me. We all know I can't sustain it beyond ten minutes, and it's pretty mild anyway.) What boggles the mind is why the girls stay with them, even after it is evident that the douchebaggery is never leaving. You want to know what you will never ever ever ever see? A guy sticking with a douchebaggy girl for more than three weeks. Won't see it. Ever. Ever. No, never.
Why? Good guys realize that a character trait that ingrained may attract your attention, but will never sustain your affection. And they cut bait. (It also should be noted that for girls, douchebaggery and craziness are synonyms. A guy will put up with some crazy at the beginning if he thinks it will quickly abate. If I doesn't, it's on to the next one.)
But that's the difference. Girls will stick with the dbag long after it's clear that it will never clear his system. And this is what leaves guys like Mike, and myself from time to time, in a fix. Too many good girls who think either that they can change the dbag, or worse, that they don't deserve any better. The second one, frankly, troubles my soul.
The first one irritates my reason like having peanut butter and jelly but no bread. It just makes zero sense.
And yet, it is a scene played out over and over in the courting community. As long as there are douche's and good guys in the same area, there always seems to be a quality girl making an absurd decision to go for the former even though she knows she should go for the latter. Ridiculous.
Word.
(Odds Mike reads this: 9 to 2 against. He would have to find it first.)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm... interesting. It is true. I often wonder about this, and I've done it myself... the thing is, I think we don't realize it til the end. Sad? Yes. Pathetic even.
However, I know PLENTY of guys that date crazies. And I've found that almost every single one of those guys is a weenie. Not worth dating anyways.
I'm mildly curious as to who you're referring to in this blog.

Courtney said...

ha ha, that made me laugh.
Rick, I thought you always made fun of Utah. I was surprised to see that you considered living there. Would you consider living there if you were married? I'm just curious.
I haven't heard any updates about you through Jared so it's about time you guys call each other! Hope you are doing well!!!

McKay said...

Rick why do you always do the binge posting? I enjoy your posts, but lets face it 4 in a row just wears me down. No, actually it's more of a time thing. Most people I can just look at their pics and not even read the words because they're not interesting. With yours, I actually read the whole thing and then have to think of some clever comment for you. Rule from me now on is if you go on a binge posting rampage, I might read them all, but you only get 1 comment tops.

McKay said...

BTW (I am breaking my own rule, I know) it is nice to see you finally coming around to Utah. I knew you would; it is Zion after all...

My first reaction to the girls and the joeys (I prefer this word) is that the girls are in it for the action, but when they get your age, you think they would be over it.