Friday, January 8, 2010

Every Time I Hear That Song

Two years. I've been running this thing for two years. In that time I've thrown up 63 posts, including this one, and had over 3000 page loads. I wish I knew how many words I've written, but that would take a bit of work to add them all up. Can we just say it's a been a lot. A whole lot. Maybe 15% more than it should have been.

I've held contests, ranked movie stars, made playlists, and discussed the finer points of reality tv shows (oh and I love Jersey Show. No one was happier than me that the Championship game was lackluster because it enabled me to watch the new episode of Jersey Shore. Just train wreck after train wreck after train wreck. I will say this though, I am shocked at the low amount of sex occurring on this show, or at least being shown on this show. Think about it. Excluding Ronnie and Sammie [so boring to watch together, but love to see them fight], no one really has gotten significant action. The Situation has gotten close, but that's about it. Amazing). There have been tributes to former sports stars, past prophets and various food items. Theories have been conjectured, contorted and proved contrary to the truth. But it's all been a blast. And for the handful of you who have been with me from the beginning, thank you for enjoying the ride. The bulk who have picked it up mid-trip have been a great addition, and I hopefully, maybe some other people will start reading/enjoying/commenting on the nuggets thrown out here.

So here's what I'm doing on this one. I'm picking the top 6 (why six you ask? Because top five lists are for cowards) along with some post-posting commentary. Only reading comments from everyone else brings me more joy than going back and reading my older posts, so I have to figure that if I enjoy it, surely others will enjoy it.

6.You're my only reason, you're my only truth- This is one of those that the title can throw you off because of it's romantic overtones. However, the romance is definitely there between me and the great game of baseball. I'm including it because it I feel the writing is succinct and pointed, but also because it takes me right back to the ballpark, the only place I feel completely comfortable in this world. When I finish re-reading it, I always feel like it's spring, despite what season or weather may be outside, and anything that makes me remember the smell of clay, leather and wood, has to be a good thing.

5. And she can transform Just a fun one to read and laugh about. Had to include it in the list. If you don't get a kick out of this one, then either you missed out on Saved By the Bell, or you need to take some prozac.

4. You've been stretched to the limit Easily the most poignant. It was just after President Hinckley passed. He was the prophet of our generation. I mean, I remember President Hunter, but only slightly. And I knew that there was a President Benson, but can't picture him in motion at all. When he passed, it was like realizing that Santa wasn't real. Everything you knew had just changed and you weren't quite sure how to take it. After some thought, this was how I felt about it all, and I'm glad I put it down somewhere.

3. I've been waiting Ask me how much fun I had with that one. Certainly the easiest one to put up because I already had all the material ready for it. Plus, it was such a dramatic moment, that you don't forget where you were, and it's interesting to see exactly what was on your mind minute to minute. It's the best glimpse into "how does Rick really think/act when he's at ease". And that's it. It was a two hour facebook conversation that was too good not to share.

2. It's amazing, I'm the reason One that could have been a two-parter, but for reasons unknown, was merged into one. What I love about it? First and foremost, the ranking of actors/actresses into four categories. Now, whenever I see a movie trailer, I immediately scan to see who the actors and judge accordingly. I can't tell you how much time and thought this saves me. Also, it puts me on record as being one of the first to state that Tiger will not eclipse Jack's record. I think this next season will be extremely foretelling of veracity of that claim. He could come back and light the tour on fire and win the next four in a row. But I think there is just as big a chance that he comes back and the demons get to him. A month or so ago, Mike asked me if I would root for him when he came back. I still don't know.

1. He doesn't look a thing like Jesus Of all the posts, this one is the one that makes me the most proud. It combines everything I like to read in other people's posts into one post. It has a good hook, a slice of humor, a tinge of personal insight, and a dose of relationship theorizing. Absolutely love it. It does depress me that what I feel was my best was written at the beginning, as thought I haven't progressed in this medium.

I plan on putting up a New Year's Resolution one next week, but we'll see if I can find that many areas to improve. You have to remember, I live in an area where there is no dating, minimal social life, and only one task to focus on. It's not like there's a plethora of new things to learn.
Word.

No comments: